West Shore Foundations Parenting Program
The Foundations Parenting Program is a 12 week course that runs on Saturday mornings 3 times a year. The program supports families that may benefit from this program and have children between the ages of 0-6.
Services are provided in a group setting for the educational component in conjunction with in-home sessions. Service is designed to:
- help parents understand the importance of making their children’s social, emotional and physical needs a priority in their lives;
- educate parents on specific child development and to help them acquire age appropriate child management skills;
- help parents understand the causes of difficulties within the family;
- help parents understand the importance of attachment and attunement in parenting their children;
- help families communicate more effectively; identify and build on family strengths; and
- attain success with family relationships.
Referrals and Eligibility
All programs are funded by the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) and are offered at no cost to participants. Program eligibility varies in each program and all referrals are received from MCFD.
In all programs, Family Development Counsellors work collaboratively with MCFD social workers, other involved professionals, families, children and youth in service planning.
What to Expect
In all programs, the Family Development Counsellors will take the participant through a program orientation, outlining what to expect from the service and how service objectives will be met.
In partnership with MCFD social workers and other applicable community supports, the Family Development Counsellor will develop goals with the child/youth/parent/caregiver and implement a service delivery plan that will support goal achievement. Service will be provided both in a one to one capacity and in a small group.
Progress will be reviewed on a regular basis and communicated to the MCFD social worker as appropriate to ensure service objectives are being met. Depending on the situation, referrals to other services for additional support and/or follow up may be made.
Duration of Services
Length of service, other than the 12 week duration of the group component, can range anywhere from 3 months to 24 months.
Family Development Counsellors' schedules vary depending on the program. Services are provided Monday - Saturday. As service is outreach in nature, they can be reached via voicemail between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
How to Reach Us
For further information on the Foundations Parenting Program, please contact Laurie Hill, Program Manager, at 250-383-4821 or email at email@example.com.