Family Development Program
This program is a ‘protective’ family service program primarily serving parents who require support, guidance, feedback and skill development to improve family functioning and ensure safe and healthy living environments for their children.
Services are intended to:
- reduce the identified child protection concerns as outlined by Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) Social Workers;
- develop and maintain parenting skills regarding parent-child interactions, child developmental stages discipline, guidance and behaviour management;
- strengthen family functioning by addressing such issues as family violence, substance abuse, mental illness and family of origin experiences;
- reduce parent/teen conflict;
- provide safe and positive supervised visitation between children and parents when children are in the care of MCFD; and
- provide referrals and assist individuals to connect to other community services and programs.
Family Development Counsellors actively involve clients in addressing MCFD concerns and in all areas of service planning to reduce risk to children and improve family functioning and parenting capacity.
Referrals and Eligibility
All programs are funded by MCFD and are offered at no cost to participants. Program eligibility varies in each program and all referrals are received from MCFD.
In all programs, Family Development Counsellors work collaboratively with MCFD social workers, other involved professionals, families, children and youth in service planning.
What to Expect
In all programs, the Family Development Counsellors will take the participant through a program orientation, outlining what to expect from the service and how service objectives will be met.
In partnership with MCFD social workers and other applicable community supports, the Family Development Counsellor will develop goals with the youth/parent/caregiver and implement a service delivery plan that will support goal achievement. Service may be provided in a one to one capacity and for some programs, in small groups when appropriate.
Progress will be reviewed on a regular basis and communicated to the ministry social worker as appropriate to ensure service objectives are being met. Depending on the situation, referrals to other services will be made as appropriate.
Duration of Services
Length of service depends greatly on the specific service objectives. The duration of involvement can range anywhere from 3 months to 24 months.
Family Development Counsellors' schedules vary depending on the program. Services are provided Monday - Saturday. As service is outreach in nature, they can be reached via voicemail between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
How to Reach Us
For further information on the Family Development Program, please contact Laurie Hill, Program Manager, at 250-383-4821 or email at email@example.com.